For Pet's Sake
Search the 'Net
Soups & Starters
Raja Veeramachaneni's version of this Kerala favourite [from southwest India - think beaches].
3 ready-made Keebler Shortbread (preferred) or other Graham Cracker pie crusts
1 can or 3 cups mango pulp (see note below)
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
8 fl oz (1 cup) heavy whipping cream
8 oz cream cheese, left at room temperature for 30 minutes
3 cups boiling water
1 cup sugar
1. Whip heavy cream in a chilled bowl until fully whipped using hand or stand mixer.
2. Dissolve gelatin in boiling water.
3. Blend cream cheese, sugar and gelatin mixture.
4. Add mango pulp and mix.
5. Add whipped cream from step 1 to the mango & gelatin mixture. Fold or lightly mix with hand mixer, taking care not to lose the volume in whipped cream as much as well as possible.
6. Pour the mixture into the pie crusts and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight until set. Tip: place the pie crusts near or in the refrigerator before pouring the mango pie filling mixture to avoid spills. Keep the pies uncovered for at least a couple of hours in the refrigerator first.
7. Slice it and serve.
Note: Mango pulp is available for reasonable prices in Indian grocery stores. There are several varieties and several brands of mango pulps available. Use any brand, and use either alphonso or kesar varieties. Kesar variety is a bit less expensive.